MADISON, Wis. - The Madison Police Department will be increasing patrols on and around this holiday weekend, according to a release.
Officers will be focusing on impaired driving, speeding and seat belt violations, authorities said.
Traditionally, St. Patrick's Day weekend is a time of increased alcohol-impaired driving and alcohol-impaired crashes, according to the release. Alcohol-impaired driving is listed as a contributing factor in nearly 5 percent of all crashes and nearly 33 percent of all vehicle crash fatalities in the state.
In an effort to increase traffic safety this weekend, MPD officers will be focusing on high-traffic areas and roadways with high crash frequency, officials said. Some of the areas drivers might see more officers include East Washington Avenue, John Nolen Drive, University Avenue, Stoughton Road, Packers Avenue and Northport Drive.
- Extra patrols added for spring party
- Shirtless female toddler on splash pad sparks debate
- Teacher confesses to sex with student in classroom
- Madison police find bullet in apartment on Russett Road
- Madison police investigate shots fired, crash
- Madison police investigating armed robbery at Oakcrest Tavern