MADISON, Wis. - The Madison Police Department will be increasing patrols on and around this holiday weekend, according to a release.
Officers will be focusing on impaired driving, speeding and seat belt violations, authorities said.
Traditionally, St. Patrick's Day weekend is a time of increased alcohol-impaired driving and alcohol-impaired crashes, according to the release. Alcohol-impaired driving is listed as a contributing factor in nearly 5 percent of all crashes and nearly 33 percent of all vehicle crash fatalities in the state.
In an effort to increase traffic safety this weekend, MPD officers will be focusing on high-traffic areas and roadways with high crash frequency, officials said. Some of the areas drivers might see more officers include East Washington Avenue, John Nolen Drive, University Avenue, Stoughton Road, Packers Avenue and Northport Drive.
- Sun Prairie looks to revamp main corridor
- Zoo euthanizes polar bear that used to be in Madison
- Driver involved in crash suspected of heroin use
- Two people shot at while in car on Madison's east side
- Dick's Sporting Goods windows smashed, teen arrested
- Dog recovering after eating nails wrapped in hot dogs; Police look for person who left them