MADISON, Wis. - Madison police are warning residents of a scam that targets college students who rent residences by claiming their property management is switching to an online payment system.
Police said a sheet of paper telling the resident that an online rent system has been created is placed under the door of their residence, and asks them to contact the person on the flier with financial information.
The person the renter contacts asks for their name, date of birth, Social Security number and their credit card number, security code and expiration date, officials said.
The scam flier being distributed even offers a $215 credit off the renter's next month's rent for signing up for the program, officials said. The notice also asks for suggestions to make the online payment process easier for the resident, and lists a company name of H&H Apartments at 7473 Ellington Court in Middleton.
Officials remind residents to never give this type of information to anyone via email or phone.Madison crime map
- Renewable energy conference focuses on working with agriculture
- Adams County officials hope public can ID burglars in surveillance video
- UWM instructor hopes students can push for change
- Fire crews ventilate parking garage fire in unique way
- UW-Madison athletics employee fired
- Mom, daughter face charges when 16 horses found with moldy hay, no water