MADISON, Wis. - A Madison police officer was punched in the head while arresting a man who was suspected of involvement in a drug deal, according to a release from Madison police.
Officers said the officer was at the Mobil gas station at 3019 E. Washington Ave. early Sunday morning because of reports of drug dealing in the area.
The officer contacted Tyler C. Smith, 33, of Madison, after he was involved in a hand-to-hand interaction with someone in the parking lot. Police said heroin was found in Smith's pocket.
The officer was punched when Smith fought with officers during his arrest, police say.
Smith was arrested on suspicion of battery to a police officer, resisting and possession of heroin. He was also arrested in August for attacking a runner on Winnebago Street.
- Madison police recommend charges in fatal Highway 30 crash
- Deputies: Dane County inmate goes AWOL
- Accidental Goodwill donation makes its way back to owner
- Crews sent to 3-car crash on East Washington Avenue
- Car accident on eastbound beltline backs up traffic
- Newly renovated Milton Public Library reopens