MADISON, Wis. - The Madison Police Department has named an acting assistant chief.
Capt. Sue Williams will take the position Sunday and is the first woman in the department's history to have a chief's title, according to a report in the Wisconsin State Journal.
Williams is being moved into the position as Chief Noble Wray retires from the department after 30 years of service.
Wray will be leaving the department sometime around Oct. 1.
Williams is taking the responsibilities of Randy Gaber, who was named the interim chief.
- Madison police make arrest in robbery near Overture Center
- Downtown homicide victim's roommate: Victim was likely trying to help the man who killed him
- Vet: Quick action saved dog who swallowed nails; Humane Society: 'This is now on our radar'
- State receives $20,000 grant to combat drugged driving
- Janesville police share internet safety tips for parents
- Facing deadline, most Wisconsin dairy farms find new buyer