LODI, Wis. - A motorcyclist died and a passenger was injured in a crash on Saturday.
The Columbia County Sheriff's Office said that a motorcycle crashed on County Highway VJ, near Richards Road in Lodi Township, about 6:30 p.m.
The driver was taken to the University of Wisconsin Hospital in Madison by Med-Flight and died at the hospital. Authorities said the passenger was taken by ambulance to UW Hospital with injuries.
Authorities said neither person was wearing a helmet. Both people were from rural Lodi.
Authorities identified the motorcycle driver who died as James D. Birkes, 49.
Investigators don't believe alcohol was a factor in the crash, but they said speed may be a factor, according to a Columbia County Sheriff's Office news release.
The Columbia County Sheriff's Office is continuing to investigate the crash.
- Wisconsin company distributed nacho cheese linked to fatal botulism
- Madison family displaced after overnight fire
- Joint Finance Committee to consider UW tuition cut, performance funding
- One person dead after bizarre incident on I-94
- Madison officer who shot at Metro Market killer awarded
- Edgerton man calls for action over medical billing problem