LODI, Wis. - A motorcyclist died and a passenger was injured in a crash on Saturday.
The Columbia County Sheriff's Office said that a motorcycle crashed on County Highway VJ, near Richards Road in Lodi Township, about 6:30 p.m.
The driver was taken to the University of Wisconsin Hospital in Madison by Med-Flight and died at the hospital. Authorities said the passenger was taken by ambulance to UW Hospital with injuries.
Authorities said neither person was wearing a helmet. Both people were from rural Lodi.
Authorities identified the motorcycle driver who died as James D. Birkes, 49.
Investigators don't believe alcohol was a factor in the crash, but they said speed may be a factor, according to a Columbia County Sheriff's Office news release.
The Columbia County Sheriff's Office is continuing to investigate the crash.
- Crews battle roof fire at McFarland cold storage facility
- Janesville high school holds safety workshop for girls
- James Brown's 'Funky Drummer' Clyde Stubblefield dies at 73
- Despite warm temps, Winter Fest, Polar Plunge continue as scheduled
- Bishop Morlino: Catholics can eat meat on St. Patrick's Day
- Wisconsin sees fewer snowy owls than in recent winters