MADISON, Wis. - A Fitchburg mother accused of stabbing her 6-year-old daughter pleaded not guilty Wednesday to a charge of attempted first-degree homicide.
Proceedings in Dane County Circuit Court were brief Wednesday as Tasha Harmon waived her right to a preliminary hearing.
Prosecutors said the 30-year-old mother stabbed her daughter seven times in the chest and back while the girl was sleeping at their Fitchburg apartment Aug. 13, then stabbed herself.
Harmon told police voices in her head, including the devil, prompted the stabbings, according to a criminal complaint.
Wednesday's court proceedings also revealed Harmon was once in a mental institution back when she was 15.
The 6-year-old was released from a Madison hospital Monday.
A trial for Harmon will be set at a later date.
- Poynette woman calls for action over million-dollar scam
- Warmer weather means construction starts on Capitol Square
- Family-owned business disputes child labor laws
- Memorial High all-school read sparks conversations about race, social justice
- DNR provides funding to remove lead service lines from homes
- Delavan man killed in motorcycle vs. tree crash, officials say