MINNEAPOLIS - A Wisconsin woman jumped to her death from the Interstate 94 bridge over the St. Croix River during morning rush hour, leaving her daughter behind in the car.
The St. Croix County Sheriff's Office said the 48-year-old woman from Pierce County stopped at about 8:30 a.m. on the shoulder of eastbound I-94, about 100 yards off the Wisconsin shoreline. She then climbed the railing and jumped into the icy waters.
Law enforcement officers recovered her body using an air boat. The 11-year-old girl was turned over to family in Wisconsin.
Their identities are being withheld pending notification of family.
According to the Minnesota Department of Transportation, the bridge is 55 feet tall at its highest point.
- 2 teenagers chased by police die in car crash in Milwaukee
- Four displaced in west side apartment fire
- 'Peaceful' protests, candlelight vigil held in Madison over Trump inauguration
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- Classes teach Madisonians how to keep backyard bees
- Judge orders suspended UW student to face trial