MINNEAPOLIS - A Wisconsin woman jumped to her death from the Interstate 94 bridge over the St. Croix River during morning rush hour, leaving her daughter behind in the car.
The St. Croix County Sheriff's Office said the 48-year-old woman from Pierce County stopped at about 8:30 a.m. on the shoulder of eastbound I-94, about 100 yards off the Wisconsin shoreline. She then climbed the railing and jumped into the icy waters.
Law enforcement officers recovered her body using an air boat. The 11-year-old girl was turned over to family in Wisconsin.
Their identities are being withheld pending notification of family.
According to the Minnesota Department of Transportation, the bridge is 55 feet tall at its highest point.
- FDA issues warning letters over 'bogus cancer cures'
- County leaders announce effort to increase access to services for sexual assault victims
- Man barricaded in house with guns, ammunition surrenders, police say
- Local musician, drum instructor charged with possession of child porn
- WIAA board approves concussion insurance for student athletes
- Complaint: 14-year-old's father finds sexual assault suspect in closet