MILWAUKEE - A Milwaukee woman whose three small children died in a fire after being left home alone is being held on cash bond of $500,000.
Angelica D. Belen made her initial court appearance Wednesday. A court commissioner found probable cause to hold her for further proceedings. Her preliminary hearing is scheduled for April 25.
Belen is charged with three felony counts of child neglect resulting in death. Her 5-year-old daughter and 4-year-old twin sons died in a house fire Thursday.
The criminal complaint quotes Belen as telling investigators she locked the kids in a bedroom while she went to work.
Belen's public defender, Reyna Morales, declined to comment on the case.
Belen also faces neglect charges stemming from allegations she left the kids home alone in February and March.
- Complaint: 14-year-old's father finds sexual assault suspect in closet
- Attempt to drill into SUV gas tank ignites fuel, MFD says
- New Glarus man stopped for expired vehicle registration faces 6th OWI
- Man robbed at gunpoint in parking lot, police say
- Bicyclist injured in collision with Buick, fire officials say
- Police: Student critically hurt in Kenosha school stabbing