MILWAUKEE - A Milwaukee woman whose three small children died in a fire after being left home alone is being held on cash bond of $500,000.
Angelica D. Belen made her initial court appearance Wednesday. A court commissioner found probable cause to hold her for further proceedings. Her preliminary hearing is scheduled for April 25.
Belen is charged with three felony counts of child neglect resulting in death. Her 5-year-old daughter and 4-year-old twin sons died in a house fire Thursday.
The criminal complaint quotes Belen as telling investigators she locked the kids in a bedroom while she went to work.
Belen's public defender, Reyna Morales, declined to comment on the case.
Belen also faces neglect charges stemming from allegations she left the kids home alone in February and March.
- 75,000+ attend 'Women's March on Madison'
- Police looking for driver who fled after causing crash
- MPD: 9-month-old girl back safe after father refused to return her to mother
- Committee debates to keep or remove Monterrey Dam
- 2 teenagers chased by police die in car crash in Milwaukee
- Four displaced in west side apartment fire