MADISON, Wis. - The mother of a 1 1/2-year-old girl who died after a car versus pedestrian crash in 2013 has been charged in connection to the incident.
Raya Hansen was charged Thursday with second-degree reckless homicide and child neglect causing death.
Hansen was with the girl, who was in a wheelchair that was being used as a stroller, on East Washington Avenue around 3:30 a.m. on Feb. 14, 2013. Police said the wheelchair rolled down an embankment and went into the street.
Hansen told police she was out getting fresh air and was going to Walgreens when she left the wheelchair unattended for a short time as she retraced her path looking for a baby bottle. She said she heard a crash and said it appeared the wheelchair rolled down a driveway and into the street.
A court appearance has not yet been set.
- Poynette woman calls for action over million-dollar scam
- Warmer weather means construction starts on Capitol Square
- Family-owned business disputes child labor laws
- Memorial High all-school read sparks conversations about race, social justice
- DNR provides funding to remove lead service lines from homes
- Delavan man killed in motorcycle vs. tree crash, officials say