MILWAUKEE - Two junior chefs from Minnesota and Wisconsin are getting ready to have lunch with first lady Michelle Obama.
Liam Kivirist is an 11-year-old from Browntown, Wis. Kaitlyn Kirchner is a 9-year-old from Madelia, Minn. They're among the winners of a White House contest that challenged kids between the ages of 8 to 12 to create healthy lunchtime recipes.
They'll join the other winners Tuesday for lunch at the White House.
Liam won with his chili, simmered in a solar oven. Kaitlyn came up with a garden stir fry featuring vegetables she and her family grow in their garden.
Both say they've been cooking since they were little. They say they enjoy eating healthy meals, and they're thrilled to have lunch with Mrs. Obama.
- FDA issues warning letters over 'bogus cancer cures'
- County leaders announce effort to increase access to services for sexual assault victims
- Man barricaded in house with guns, ammunition surrenders, police say
- Local musician, drum instructor charged with possession of child porn
- WIAA board approves concussion insurance for student athletes
- Complaint: 14-year-old's father finds sexual assault suspect in closet