LITTLE FALLS, Minn. - A Minnesota man has been arrested for second-degree murder in the shooting deaths of two teenage cousins.
Byron Smith told officers that he shot and killed two people breaking into his home on Thanksgiving.
Deputies found the bodies of 17-year-old Nicholas Brady and 18-year-old Haile Kifer in Smith's basement the next day.
Friends of the teens can't believe the two are gone.
"She was a great role model, she always knows how to make people smile,"said Stephanie Cluever, a friend of Kifer. "She's funny, she's caring. She's just amazing."
"He'd help anybody who needs help," said friend Devin Robbins of Brady. "He'd give the shirt off his back, he'd be there whenever you're in trouble."
Authorities said Smith had a right to defend his home, but they believe there were other factors in this case that show Smith went beyond that point.
Smith is scheduled to be in court Monday.
- Kenosha teen stabbed at school dies
- Authorities: Woman fatally shot father and took her own life
- Syrian man who sued Trump brings family to US
- DATCP warns of resurgence of fake IRS calls
- Appeal rejected in death of 2 Janesville motorcyclists
- Man accused in deadly wrong-way I-94 wreck not competent, judge says