LITTLE FALLS, Minn. - A Minnesota man has been arrested for second-degree murder in the shooting deaths of two teenage cousins.
Byron Smith told officers that he shot and killed two people breaking into his home on Thanksgiving.
Deputies found the bodies of 17-year-old Nicholas Brady and 18-year-old Haile Kifer in Smith's basement the next day.
Friends of the teens can't believe the two are gone.
"She was a great role model, she always knows how to make people smile,"said Stephanie Cluever, a friend of Kifer. "She's funny, she's caring. She's just amazing."
"He'd help anybody who needs help," said friend Devin Robbins of Brady. "He'd give the shirt off his back, he'd be there whenever you're in trouble."
Authorities said Smith had a right to defend his home, but they believe there were other factors in this case that show Smith went beyond that point.
Smith is scheduled to be in court Monday.
- Lowell Elementary School closed due to flooding, officials say
- District: Some Janesville school bus routes canceled because of slippery roads
- Local Wisconsin man remembers meeting Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Parents of girl charged in 'Slender Man' stabbing speak out
- 6-year-old girl buys birthday gifts for children in need
- Woman's self-written obituary goes viral