MADISON, Wis. - A company looking to dig a huge open-pit iron mine near Mellen has asked state regulators for another exploratory drilling license.
Gogebic Taconite drilled eight test holes in the Penokee Hills last spring and summer. The license for that project expires June 30.
The state Department of Natural Resources announced Friday it has received an application for another exploratory license to cover a separate project that calls for drilling 15 more holes.
Ann Coakley is the DNR's waste and materials management program director. She said in a news release Friday the DNR will review the application. The agency has 10 days to approve or deny the request or ask the company for more information.
- Man arrested on suspicion of OWI after crash injures 3
- Man arrested on suspicion of 4th OWI
- Former president George H.W. Bush hospitalized
- Family remembers fire that took 4 kids' lives 25 years later
- Plea deal reached in killing of 13-year-old girl in 1982
- Madison Club donation focuses on 100 Black Men, achievement gap