MILWAUKEE - A Milwaukee man who gained attention for overcoming poverty and a broken home has been sentenced to life in prison for fatally beating a 2-year-old boy.
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports 28-year-old Corey Benson was sentenced Friday to a life term with no chance of supervised release.
Benson was convicted in March of killing his girlfriend's 2-year-old son while babysitting the boy in 2011, and severely injuring the boy in 2010.
He continued to deny responsibility in court Friday.
The criminal complaint says Benson walked into Aurora Sinai Medical Center in 2011, carrying Karmari Curtis, who wasn't breathing. An autopsy showed the boy had multiple injuries.
Benson has been charged with abusing Karmari before. In October 2010, the boy was hospitalized for six days because of his injuries.
- MPD: Around 12,000 attend 2017 Mifflin Street Block Party; no serious incidents
- Officials identify woman killed in Middleton homicide; suspect in custody
- Robber points gun at motel clerk, flees empty-handed
- Wisconsin woman's play to take stage in San Diego
- Aging farmers in Wisconsin fear nursing care may cost farm
- Green Bay official explores ban on openly carrying guns