MILWAUKEE - A Milwaukee man who gained attention for overcoming poverty and a broken home has been sentenced to life in prison for fatally beating a 2-year-old boy.
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports 28-year-old Corey Benson was sentenced Friday to a life term with no chance of supervised release.
Benson was convicted in March of killing his girlfriend's 2-year-old son while babysitting the boy in 2011, and severely injuring the boy in 2010.
He continued to deny responsibility in court Friday.
The criminal complaint says Benson walked into Aurora Sinai Medical Center in 2011, carrying Karmari Curtis, who wasn't breathing. An autopsy showed the boy had multiple injuries.
Benson has been charged with abusing Karmari before. In October 2010, the boy was hospitalized for six days because of his injuries.
- Wisconsin school advocates pushing for more money
- Research indicates correct breast examination techniques are widely misunderstood
- Shell casings found downtown after shots fired call
- 75,000+ attend 'Women's March on Madison'
- Police looking for driver who fled after causing crash
- MPD: 9-month-old girl back safe after father refused to return her to mother