MILWAUKEE - A 19-year-old Milwaukee man is charged in a shooting at a basketball court that left one man dead and four other people wounded.
Jovan Dart Newman was charged Tuesday with first-degree reckless homicide and a misdemeanor count of bail jumping in the Sept. 29 death of Alexander Cross.
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported Newman is accused of opening fire with a semiautomatic handgun on a group of men who were playing basketball. Also injured were three other players and a woman who was watching the game.
According to the complaint, Newman began shooting after a fight broke out involving some of the victims and a group of men who had had a dispute with Cross' family a week earlier.
Online court records do not list a defense attorney.
- Shredfest helps protect more than 1,100 people's identities
- 'Life goes on': Production ends at Oscar Mayer plant
- Vehicles, building hit by bullets in Fitchburg
- MPD: Around 12,000 attend 2017 Mifflin Street Block Party; no serious incidents
- Officials identify woman killed in Middleton homicide; suspect in custody
- Robber points gun at motel clerk, flees empty-handed