MADISON, Wis. - Fallen police officers were remembered for their service and dedication at the eighth annual Greater Milwaukee Law Enforcement Memorial Ceremony.
Two of those honored Wednesday died last year while on duty. Milwaukee sheriff's deputy Sergio Aleman died July 31, 2012, when his vehicle crashed into the back of a flatbed tow truck on an interstate. Wauwatosa police officer Jennifer Sebena was shot to death on Christmas Eve.
Also honored was Milwaukee police officer Charles Smith, who died Jan. 31, 1973.
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports Gov. Scott Walker was among speakers who commemorated the officers' sacrifice and comforted their families.
Walker told family members their loved ones "died for an exceptional cause, the cause of public safety."
- Monona cafe calls for action after no charges in embezzlement case
- Consumer Reports: Should you buy Ikea appliances?
- Consumer Reports: Foods that heal
- WEDC grants help grow entrepreneurship programs across state
- Political expert weighs in on effectiveness of Women's March movement
- Uncertainty creates challenges for growth in manufacturing