MADISON, Wis. - Fallen police officers were remembered for their service and dedication at the eighth annual Greater Milwaukee Law Enforcement Memorial Ceremony.
Two of those honored Wednesday died last year while on duty. Milwaukee sheriff's deputy Sergio Aleman died July 31, 2012, when his vehicle crashed into the back of a flatbed tow truck on an interstate. Wauwatosa police officer Jennifer Sebena was shot to death on Christmas Eve.
Also honored was Milwaukee police officer Charles Smith, who died Jan. 31, 1973.
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports Gov. Scott Walker was among speakers who commemorated the officers' sacrifice and comforted their families.
Walker told family members their loved ones "died for an exceptional cause, the cause of public safety."
- Dog recovering after eating nails wrapped in hot dogs; Police look for person who left them
- Dating apps pose risk to teenagers, expert says
- Lawsuit over baked goods ban heads to court
- FDA issues warning letters over 'bogus cancer cures'
- County leaders announce effort to increase access to services for sexual assault victims
- Man barricaded in house with guns, ammunition surrenders, police say