MADISON, Wis. - Fallen police officers were remembered for their service and dedication at the eighth annual Greater Milwaukee Law Enforcement Memorial Ceremony.
Two of those honored Wednesday died last year while on duty. Milwaukee sheriff's deputy Sergio Aleman died July 31, 2012, when his vehicle crashed into the back of a flatbed tow truck on an interstate. Wauwatosa police officer Jennifer Sebena was shot to death on Christmas Eve.
Also honored was Milwaukee police officer Charles Smith, who died Jan. 31, 1973.
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports Gov. Scott Walker was among speakers who commemorated the officers' sacrifice and comforted their families.
Walker told family members their loved ones "died for an exceptional cause, the cause of public safety."
- Woman accused of stabbing acquaintance turns herself in to police
- Victim tells police man who stabbed him frequently ‘mooches' from him
- Remains of 3 Ohio plane crash victims identified
- 29-year-old man dies from injuries suffered in Beloit fire
- Suspended UW-Madison student wants sex charges dismissed
- Medical center closes while DEA investigates