MADISON, Wis. - Meriter Health System has announced plans to affiliate with Iowa-based UnityPoint Health.
"We are on the edge and on the cusp of being able to provide something much better for our patients, and a better environment for our clinicians, physicians and nurses to work in, where they're truly making a difference for their patients. And we're going to lower their cost," said Bill Leaver, president and CEO of UnityPoint Health.
Meriter President and CEO Jim Woodward and Board of Directors Chair Ginny Graves called the affiliation fantastic news for Meriter's patients, insurance members and employees.
"We have a very strong patient centered model of care here at Meriter. It's growing, it's changing, it's developing, but we're very proud of what we have and we wanted an organization that hopefully was even a little ahead of us that we could learn from. But certainly an organization that valued the same care delivery process that we've enjoyed here at Meriter," said Woodward.
Meriter will remain independent, according to the release. The affiliation will give Meriter additional resources. Meriter and Physicians Plus will still be run by a community board.
The affiliation is subject to regulatory approval, which is expected later this year.
- Eau Claire TV station owner sues over duo's on-air prank
- Alcohol use among senior citizens on the rise
- Door County trees chomped by invasive bugs
- Women accused of attacking 17-year-old girl at Memorial High School
- Toxic gas released in Kenosha County truck crash
- Bill would let victims, witnesses block body camera releases