MADISON, Wis. - Students, faculty and friends of former Madison Memorial principal Bruce Dahmen will get the chance to honor his memory in two seperate events this weekend.
Dahmen died Tuesday after having a heart attack while visiting former Memorial student and basketball player Jeronne Maymon. Dahmen was in Tennessee watching Maymon play basketball for the Tennessee Volunteers.
Sunday, a "Celebration of Life" event will be held at the high school at 2 p.m. honoring Dahmen.
In addition, students also plan to honor their former principal at Saturday's home basketball game.
During the game, students will remain silent for the first 10 points Memorial scores in the game.
Dahmen was a part of Memorial High School for 40 years. He started teaching a marketing class at the school in 1974, and in 2005 he became the principal.
In lieu of flowers, the family asks that donations be made in Bruce's name for a scholarship fund to be established. In the interim, please send donations in care of Peggi Dahmen at Memorial High School, 201 S. Gammon Road, Madison, WI 53717.
The school will also provide overflow spaces at the school where the celebration will be broadcast. The celebration will also be live streamed at www.mmsd.org/dahmen.
You can read Dahmen's obit here.
- Garrison Keillor coming to Breese Stevens Field
- Gun pointed at driver during road rage incident, deputies say
- Wisconsin family rescued from wave that throws them into tide pool
- New Zealand: Janesville doctor must pay for deadly crash
- Police: Crash leads to 4th OWI arrest
- Madison police work to create better quality of life on top of State Street