BURLINGTON, Wis. - Burlington Mayor Bob Miller said officials from the Echo Lake Foods egg processing plant would like to rebuild at their current site after last week's fire.
Miller said he met Monday with Echo Lake Foods owners and management as well as with officials from the state and Racine County.
He told The Journal Times that 60 percent of the plant is still standing and usable. The mayor said no timeline for rebuilding has been set.
About 300 workers were displaced after a fire broke out last Wednesday at the plant. The fire escalated to eight alarms, requiring fire assistance from across southeast Wisconsin as well as northern Illinois.
An investigation by the state fire marshal's office found no criminal intent, but the fire's cause and origin remain under investigation.
- Child expert weighs in, on search for 9-month old
- Sheriff warns of phone scammer pretending to be deputy
- Warm weather is melting away profits in the winter sports industry
- Renewable energy conference focuses on working with agriculture
- Adams County officials hope public can ID burglars in surveillance video
- UWM instructor hopes students can push for change