BURLINGTON, Wis. - Burlington Mayor Bob Miller said officials from the Echo Lake Foods egg processing plant would like to rebuild at their current site after last week's fire.
Miller said he met Monday with Echo Lake Foods owners and management as well as with officials from the state and Racine County.
He told The Journal Times that 60 percent of the plant is still standing and usable. The mayor said no timeline for rebuilding has been set.
About 300 workers were displaced after a fire broke out last Wednesday at the plant. The fire escalated to eight alarms, requiring fire assistance from across southeast Wisconsin as well as northern Illinois.
An investigation by the state fire marshal's office found no criminal intent, but the fire's cause and origin remain under investigation.
- State Legislature set to give wells bill final OK
- Look, up in the sky! It's gypsy moth sprayers
- AG Schimel: Undercover campaign videos reveal no crime
- Oakcrest Tavern robbed at gunpoint at closing time, PD says
- State at high risk of wildfires after sunny, dry weather
- 15-year-old girl shot with BB gun at Elver Park