MANITOWOC, Wis. - The Manitowoc County sheriff's department has solved the case of a Mishicot man who disappeared 27 years ago.
Harry Ballard was reported missing on March 14, 1986. The 59-year-old had a drinking problem and often disappeared for extended periods of time.
Manitowoc County Coroner Curtis Green told the Herald Times Reporter the court declared him dead in 1990 but his body was never found.
Green said he came across his file in 2012 again and his office and the sheriff's office made some calls.
He said they learned that someone matching Ballard's description had died in Florida of natural causes shortly after Ballard went missing.
Green said positive identification was made through fingerprints.
Ballard's wife has since died and Green said they are trying to locate other family members.
- 'Out of the darkness' walk for suicide prevention
- Woman may face charges after being thrown from vehicle during crash
- Officials ID fatal Grant County crash victim
- Police: Electronics taken from Boscobel home Friday
- Armed robberies in Monona, Madison may be connected, Monona PD says
- Widow of slayed Racine man wants ban of hollow-point bullets