MANITOWOC, Wis. - The Manitowoc County sheriff's department has solved the case of a Mishicot man who disappeared 27 years ago.
Harry Ballard was reported missing on March 14, 1986. The 59-year-old had a drinking problem and often disappeared for extended periods of time.
Manitowoc County Coroner Curtis Green told the Herald Times Reporter the court declared him dead in 1990 but his body was never found.
Green said he came across his file in 2012 again and his office and the sheriff's office made some calls.
He said they learned that someone matching Ballard's description had died in Florida of natural causes shortly after Ballard went missing.
Green said positive identification was made through fingerprints.
Ballard's wife has since died and Green said they are trying to locate other family members.
- Man suffers ‘incapacitating injury' in Grant County crash, deputies say
- Surveillance video shows burglars breaking into Madison cellphone store
- Records show little GOP feedback to state education plan
- Lincoln Hills psychologist dismissed
- Kenosha teen who stabbed classmate was punched by victim
- La Crosse man accused of posting nude photos of ex online