A man institutionalized for killing his father is suing the Shawano County Sheriff's Department, claiming deputies mishandled his call for help which resulted in the homicide.
Joshua Johnson was found not guilty by reason of mental illness in the death of his father, Donald, in February 2012. Johnson is confined to a state psychiatric facility.
His lawsuit says he called 911 to report his father had sexually assaulted him, but that deputies failed to meet with him outside the presence of his father. Johnson called 911 again to say he had killed his father.
WLUK-TV says Johnson's mother has filed a companion lawsuit, making the same claims. While Johnson's litigation does not seek specific damages, Johnson's mother, Lori Boris, seeks $250,000 in damages.
Corporation Counsel Tony Kordus says Shawano County has no liability.
- Woman accused of stabbing acquaintance turns herself in to police
- Victim tells police man who stabbed him frequently ‘mooches' from him
- Remains of 3 Ohio plane crash victims identified
- 29-year-old man dies from injuries suffered in Beloit fire
- Suspended UW-Madison student wants sex charges dismissed
- Medical center closes while DEA investigates