ASHLAND, Wis. - A person who drowned in Lake Superior off the north shore of Long Island is identified by officials as a Middleton man.
Ashland County Sheriff Mick Brennan says 74-year-old Charles Conklin was reported missing while swimming about 3:30 p.m. Thursday. The U.S. Coast Guard, Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources and Bayfield Fire Department's dive team also responded to the call.
The Ashland Daily Press said Conklin's body was recovered in about 14 feet of water about three hours later. Long Island is part of the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore.
- Classes teach Madisonians how to keep backyard bees
- Judge orders suspended UW student to face trial
- First responders urge people to stay off ice this weekend
- Madison police have video of road rage incident involving a car and bike
- Robbery suspect arrested after stealing purse containing $1
- Mars investigating Skittles said to be intended for cattle