ASHLAND, Wis. - A person who drowned in Lake Superior off the north shore of Long Island is identified by officials as a Middleton man.
Ashland County Sheriff Mick Brennan says 74-year-old Charles Conklin was reported missing while swimming about 3:30 p.m. Thursday. The U.S. Coast Guard, Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources and Bayfield Fire Department's dive team also responded to the call.
The Ashland Daily Press said Conklin's body was recovered in about 14 feet of water about three hours later. Long Island is part of the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore.
- FDA issues warning letters over 'bogus cancer cures'
- County leaders announce effort to increase access to services for sexual assault victims
- Man barricaded in house with guns, ammunition surrenders, police say
- Local musician, drum instructor charged with possession of child porn
- WIAA board approves concussion insurance for student athletes
- Complaint: 14-year-old's father finds sexual assault suspect in closet