MILWAUKEE - Milwaukee police say a man wielding a pipe is hospitalized after he was shot by an officer at a north side residence.
Sgt. Mark Stanmeyer said police were called to the home about 4 a.m. Tuesday on a report of a suicidal man. Stanmeyer said officers found the suspect armed with what was later determined to be a pipe.
The officers believed the pipe was the barrel of a gun and ordered the man to drop it. When the man failed to drop the pipe, a sergeant shot him.
Police said there were others in the home at the time, but no one else was hurt.
The 56-year-old man is in stable condition. Police said he will be referred to prosecutors later this week for possible charges.
- Family remembers fire that took 4 kids' lives 25 years later
- Plea deal reached in killing of 13-year-old girl in 1982
- Madison Club donation focuses on 100 Black Men, achievement gap
- Madison Metro bus driver retires after half a century
- City streets dept. denies telling MMSD roads were OK
- Icy conditions send more people to ER for falls