MILWAUKEE - Milwaukee police say a man wielding a pipe is hospitalized after he was shot by an officer at a north side residence.
Sgt. Mark Stanmeyer said police were called to the home about 4 a.m. Tuesday on a report of a suicidal man. Stanmeyer said officers found the suspect armed with what was later determined to be a pipe.
The officers believed the pipe was the barrel of a gun and ordered the man to drop it. When the man failed to drop the pipe, a sergeant shot him.
Police said there were others in the home at the time, but no one else was hurt.
The 56-year-old man is in stable condition. Police said he will be referred to prosecutors later this week for possible charges.
- State DOJ, feds, police set up Drug Take Back Day
- Sun Prairie looks to revamp main corridor
- Zoo euthanizes polar bear that used to be in Madison
- Driver involved in crash suspected of heroin use
- Two people shot at while in car on Madison's east side
- Dick's Sporting Goods windows smashed, teen arrested