WAUWATOSA, Wis. - A Milwaukee-area hospital was locked down after a man was shot by officers who responded to reports of a man with a gun Thursday afternoon, according to police reports.
Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke said Ashanti Hendricks, 22, was holding a baby at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin's neonatal unit when officers arrived to respond to a report of a man with a gun in the hospital.
Clarke said Hendricks put the baby down and ran, then produced a gun and turned around several times. The sheriff would not say whether he fired any shots.
The officers and the baby were unharmed. Hendricks was shot twice in the arm, and is being treated at Froedtert Hospital.
The hospital released a statement at 12:38 p.m. saying the facility was "on lockdown while law enforcement responds to a report of shots fired."
Police said Hendricks had a warrant for being a felon in possession of a firearm.
- MPD: Around 12,000 attend 2017 Mifflin Street Block Party; no serious incidents
- Officials identify woman killed in Middleton homicide; suspect in custody
- Robber points gun at motel clerk, flees empty-handed
- Wisconsin woman's play to take stage in San Diego
- Aging farmers in Wisconsin fear nursing care may cost farm
- Green Bay official explores ban on openly carrying guns