WAUWATOSA, Wis. - A Milwaukee-area hospital was locked down after a man was shot by officers who responded to reports of a man with a gun Thursday afternoon, according to police reports.
Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke said Ashanti Hendricks, 22, was holding a baby at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin's neonatal unit when officers arrived to respond to a report of a man with a gun in the hospital.
Clarke said Hendricks put the baby down and ran, then produced a gun and turned around several times. The sheriff would not say whether he fired any shots.
The officers and the baby were unharmed. Hendricks was shot twice in the arm, and is being treated at Froedtert Hospital.
The hospital released a statement at 12:38 p.m. saying the facility was "on lockdown while law enforcement responds to a report of shots fired."
Police said Hendricks had a warrant for being a felon in possession of a firearm.
- 75,000+ attend 'Women's March on Madison'
- Police looking for driver who fled after causing crash
- MPD: 9-month-old girl back safe after father refused to return her to mother
- Committee debates to keep or remove Monterrey Dam
- 2 teenagers chased by police die in car crash in Milwaukee
- Four displaced in west side apartment fire