FOND DU LAC, Wis. - A Fond du Lac man who spent at least 30 minutes in frigid waters after his snowmobile broke through thin ice is expected to survive.
A Reporter of Fond du Lac report said 47-year-old Kelly Milam suffered severe hypothermia but is expected to recover.
Rescue workers found Milam in the icy waters of Lake Winnebago after a passer-by heard him calling for help.
Sheriff's Lt. Bill Tadych said Milam was found in 5 to 6 feet of water, "deep enough to kill a person." He'd been in the lake for 30 to 45 minutes.
He had hypothermia and injuries described as non-life-threatening.
Milam was too cold to communicate clearly, but authorities eventually determined no one else was in the water.
Tadych said local ice conditions are "marginal" at best.
- Grocery store offers 'ugly' produce to combat food waste
- Silver Alert issued for missing Marathon County man
- Police: Boy, 12, to officers at mall: 'I'm going to kill you, your wife, your children'
- Man shot in face testifies in homicide trial of Sophea Mouth
- Man suspected in another downtown Madison car break-in
- Pharmaceutical center in LaCrosse announces layoffs