TOWN OF BERRY, Wis. - Authorities said alcohol and speed were factors in a crash that killed one person and caused serious injuries to another early Saturday.
The Dane County Sheriff's Office said deputies responded to a single-vehicle fatality crash on Martinsville Road at High Rise Road in the town of Berry at about 1:50 a.m.
The sheriff's office said a Honda Accord was southbound on Martinsville Road when it failed to negotiate a curve and struck a tree. The driver, Kurt V. Laufenberg, 22, was taken to a Madison hospital by Med Flight with serious injuries and the passenger, Dylan Lindeman, 22, of Middleton, was pronounced dead at the scene.
As of Monday afternoon Laufenberg was still hospitalized with serious, but non-life-threatening injuries, officials said.
The crash remains under investigation.
- Divided state Supreme Court upholds DNA fee
- Tony Robinson lawsuit settled for $3.35 million; MPD reacts
- Fate of the historic Monterey Dam is still up for discussion
- Taking time off, staying close to home is beneficial to work, life, expert says
- DCHS partners with other shelters to rescue 49 dogs from former breeder
- Delays expected on Beltline during daytime lane closures, DOT says