TOWN OF BERRY, Wis. - Authorities said alcohol and speed were factors in a crash that killed one person and caused serious injuries to another early Saturday.
The Dane County Sheriff's Office said deputies responded to a single-vehicle fatality crash on Martinsville Road at High Rise Road in the town of Berry at about 1:50 a.m.
The sheriff's office said a Honda Accord was southbound on Martinsville Road when it failed to negotiate a curve and struck a tree. The driver, Kurt V. Laufenberg, 22, was taken to a Madison hospital by Med Flight with serious injuries and the passenger, Dylan Lindeman, 22, of Middleton, was pronounced dead at the scene.
As of Monday afternoon Laufenberg was still hospitalized with serious, but non-life-threatening injuries, officials said.
The crash remains under investigation.
- Minnesota ban on Sunday liquor sales may be lifted
- Mustard Museum may close if county doesn't forgive loan
- Republican, Democrat each share hopes for inauguration
- Child expert weighs in on search for 9-month-old
- Sheriff warns of phone scammer pretending to be deputy
- Warm weather is melting away profits in the winter sports industry