MADISON, Wis. - A Lake Mills man's foot-long, 2-year-old orange beard has already earned him honors in a five-state competition in Minnesota.
Now, Walter Cnare is aiming for the National Beard and Moustache Championships next month in New Orleans.
The 40-year-old is soliciting votes in a Facebook contest to win a trip through one of the event's sponsors. He hopes to compete in the "Full Natural Beard" category, one of 18 mustache and beard categories.
The Wisconsin State Journal reported beards are judged on length, color and "presence." Cnare said that includes the contestant's outfit and "pageantry."
Beard events often include a special "petting show," where people stroke beards for a charitable donation.
Cnare doesn't think he can afford to go to the competition if he doesn't win the contest.
- Sheriff: Man driving 30 mph over speed limit was drunk
- Stoughton woman faces 5th OWI charge
- Farms' thirst for water roils Wisconsin's central sands
- Town of Janesville man faces 6th OWI
- Angler catches massive trout, doesn't count for state record
- Overtime to catch Jakubowski cost Rock County Sheriff's Office $80,000