MADISON, Wis. - A Lake Mills man's foot-long, 2-year-old orange beard has already earned him honors in a five-state competition in Minnesota.
Now, Walter Cnare is aiming for the National Beard and Moustache Championships next month in New Orleans.
The 40-year-old is soliciting votes in a Facebook contest to win a trip through one of the event's sponsors. He hopes to compete in the "Full Natural Beard" category, one of 18 mustache and beard categories.
The Wisconsin State Journal reported beards are judged on length, color and "presence." Cnare said that includes the contestant's outfit and "pageantry."
Beard events often include a special "petting show," where people stroke beards for a charitable donation.
Cnare doesn't think he can afford to go to the competition if he doesn't win the contest.
- Winter weather could slow Wednesday commute
- $1M lottery ticket sold in Madison expires soon
- Men to be without safe, sober home with no live-in manager
- Ho-Chunk casino could draw $37 million from other casinos
- Multiple reports of gunshots heard in Madison Sunday night
- Deputies warn of thin ice as warm temps continue