MILWAUKEE, Wis. - A federal judge has sentenced a Beaver Dam man to five years in prison for a rash of bank robberies this year.
Thirty-seven-year-old Michael J. Scott was sentenced for 10 bank robberies committed between April 23 and July 13.
Scott pleaded guilty to the 10-count indictment in September.
Citing concerns about prison overcrowding, U.S. District Judge J.P. Stadtmueller gave Scott a sentence at the lower end of his advisory sentencing guideline range.
Federal prosecutors argued that Scott should have received a longer sentence, because of the serious nature of the crimes and the trauma suffered by the bank tellers who were robbed.
The government says Scott robbed banks in Kenosha, West Bend, Fond du Lac, Richfield, Hartford, Westfield, Oconomowoc, Delafield and Germantown.
The robberies netted him a total of $28,000.
- MPD: Around 12,000 attend 2017 Mifflin Street Block Party; no serious incidents
- Officials identify woman killed in Middleton homicide; suspect in custody
- Robber points gun at motel clerk, flees empty-handed
- Wisconsin woman's play to take stage in San Diego
- Aging farmers in Wisconsin fear nursing care may cost farm
- Green Bay official explores ban on openly carrying guns