RACINE, Wis. - A Racine man convicted of molesting a girl over a 14-year span has been sentenced to the maximum 25-year prison sentence, a far longer sentence than prosecutors sought.
A Journal Times of Racine report said 51-year-old Kerry L. Chase berated his defense attorney when the sentence was handed down Friday.
Prosecutors said Chase began assaulting the girl when she was in diapers. The criminal complaint said he acknowledged to investigators that fondling escalated to full sexual assault when the girl was 11 or 12.
As part of a plea deal, prosecutors agreed to recommend a nine- to 10-year sentence. But Judge Tim Boyle said the least he could do for the victim was impose the strongest sentence possible.
Before sentencing Chase said he was sorry and accepted responsibility.
- Madison police work to create better quality of life on top of State Street
- 'Out of the darkness' walk for suicide prevention
- Woman may face charges after being thrown from vehicle during crash
- Officials ID fatal Grant County crash victim
- Police: Electronics taken from Boscobel home Friday
- Armed robberies in Monona, Madison may be connected, Monona PD says