RACINE, Wis. - A Racine man convicted of molesting a girl over a 14-year span has been sentenced to the maximum 25-year prison sentence, a far longer sentence than prosecutors sought.
A Journal Times of Racine report said 51-year-old Kerry L. Chase berated his defense attorney when the sentence was handed down Friday.
Prosecutors said Chase began assaulting the girl when she was in diapers. The criminal complaint said he acknowledged to investigators that fondling escalated to full sexual assault when the girl was 11 or 12.
As part of a plea deal, prosecutors agreed to recommend a nine- to 10-year sentence. But Judge Tim Boyle said the least he could do for the victim was impose the strongest sentence possible.
Before sentencing Chase said he was sorry and accepted responsibility.
- Community supports boy fighting for his life
- Neighborhood initiative aims to diminish crime on Madison's east side
- Dodge Co. Sheriff asks for more student education after school threats made
- Two injured in Iowa County rollover crash
- Family: Milwaukee mother shot repeatedly in van
- Dane County airport wins award for food program