The Madison Police Department is investigating a death that's now being called a homicide.
News3 has learned the man killed is Lamontez White, 30. White's attorney said he was supposed to be in court Thursday for a misdemeanor charge.
Police were called to an apartment building on the 2300 block of Fish Hatchery Road around 1 a.m. Thursday for reports of shots fired.
Officers said White was found with a gunshot wound at the apartment when they arrived. There were multiple people inside the apartment when the shooting occurred and a disturbance preceded the shooting, according to police.
No one has been taken into custody. Police said the shooting does not appear to be random.
"We don't have a suspect right now. We don't have a named suspect. We're, at this point, gathering facts and trying to determine who the person was who fired the shot, and then we'll arrest that person," said Joel DeSpain, MPD public information officer.
Fish Hatchery Road going north was partially blocked by police squad cars during the early hours of the morning as they set up in front of the apartment.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the Madison Police Department or Crime Stoppers at 608-266-6014.
- UWM instructor hopes students can find solution to lead problem
- Man arrested on suspicion of OWI after crash
- Assembly Republicans plan to add $300 million for roads
- Minnesota ban on Sunday liquor sales may be lifted
- Mustard Museum may close if county doesn't forgive loan
- Republican, Democrat each share hopes for inauguration