VILLAGE OF ARGYLE, Wis. - A brother-in-law of the Argyle police chief has been arrested in connection with a fight that fatally injured another man early Sunday morning.
Lafayette County sheriff's deputies and Argyle paramedics responded at 3:16 a.m. to a report of a fight outside on North Broad Street in Argyle.
Sheriff's officials said Aaron D. Saalsaa, 27, and Danial D. Saalsaa, 29, both of Argyle, were involved in the fight.
Aaron Saalsaa was taken by Argyle paramedics to the Monroe-Clinic Hospital and was later transferred to a Madison hospital with life-threatening injuries. He died of his injuries Monday.
Danial Saalsaa was taken into custody at the scene and is being held in the Lafayette County Jail on a tentative felony charge of aggravated battery, according to a Lafayette County Sheriff's Office news release.
The Lafayette County Sheriff's Office said it has requested assistance from the Monroe Police Department in the investigation due to a potential conflict of interest. Hayley Saalsaa, who is the sister-in-law to Aaron and Danial, is the Argyle police chief and was a witness to the fight as she had been called by family members to respond to the fight, according to the release.
The Lafayette County Sheriff's Office staff routinely works closely with the Argyle police chief and therefore the request for outside assistance was necessary due to a potential conflict of interest, according to the release.
Once Monroe Police Department Detectives complete the investigation, the case will be referred to the Lafayette County District Attorney for review.
- FDA issues warning letters over 'bogus cancer cures'
- County leaders announce effort to increase access to services for sexual assault victims
- Man barricaded in house with guns, ammunition surrenders, police say
- Local musician, drum instructor charged with possession of child porn
- WIAA board approves concussion insurance for student athletes
- Complaint: 14-year-old's father finds sexual assault suspect in closet