MILWAUKEE - The Milwaukee County medical examiner's office said a man has died more than 16 years after he was beaten at Summerfest, and ruled his death a homicide.
The medical examiner said 49-year-old Joseph Hetzel died Feb. 28 at a rehabilitation center in Fond du Lac.
Hetzel's brother, Todd, told an investigator his brother was beaten by about five men in a fight in a parking lot at Milwaukee's Summerfest in 1996. Todd Hetzel said no arrests were ever made.
According to his brother, Joseph Hetzel was left paralyzed on one side and had a severe brain injury. The brother said Hetzel suffered another brain injury when he fell down some stairs in Hartford in 2009.
The medical examiner ruled Hetzel died of complications of blunt force injuries to his head.
- Poynette woman calls for action over million-dollar scam
- Warmer weather means construction starts on Capitol Square
- Family-owned business disputes child labor laws
- Memorial High all-school read sparks conversations about race, social justice
- DNR provides funding to remove lead service lines from homes
- Delavan man killed in motorcycle vs. tree crash, officials say