MILWAUKEE - The Milwaukee County medical examiner's office said a man has died more than 16 years after he was beaten at Summerfest, and ruled his death a homicide.
The medical examiner said 49-year-old Joseph Hetzel died Feb. 28 at a rehabilitation center in Fond du Lac.
Hetzel's brother, Todd, told an investigator his brother was beaten by about five men in a fight in a parking lot at Milwaukee's Summerfest in 1996. Todd Hetzel said no arrests were ever made.
According to his brother, Joseph Hetzel was left paralyzed on one side and had a severe brain injury. The brother said Hetzel suffered another brain injury when he fell down some stairs in Hartford in 2009.
The medical examiner ruled Hetzel died of complications of blunt force injuries to his head.
- Man suffers ‘incapacitating injury' in Grant County crash, deputies say
- Surveillance video shows burglars breaking into Madison cellphone store
- Records show little GOP feedback to state education plan
- Lincoln Hills psychologist dismissed
- Kenosha teen who stabbed classmate was punched by victim
- La Crosse man accused of posting nude photos of ex online