VERNON COUNTY, Wis. - A Vernon County farmer is in serious but stable condition at the University of Wisconsin Hospital in Madison after suffering injuries in a barn fire.
The Vernon County Sheriff's Department told News 8 Steve Humfeld the man was inside the barn on County Road KK, about seven miles south of Coon Valley, when the fire started. A medical helicopter took him to the hospital in Madison. No other injuries are reported.
The sheriff's department says there were also about 50 cows and 40 younger animals in the barn at the time of the fire. It isn't known exactly how many of them died in the fire, but some of them did make it out.
The fire is under investigation.
Firefighters from Coon Valley, Westby, Viroqua, Genoa, Viola, and the Town of Wheatland responded to the fire.
Firefighters said the barn is a total loss.
Two years ago, the dairy farm hosted the Vernon County Dairy Breakfast.22983542
- Pickup truck, car fall through ice on 2 Dodge County lakes
- Man killed after setting off apartment explosion
- District: Some Janesville school bus routes canceled because of slippery roads
- Driver of car going 107 mph suspected of drug use, deputies say
- Car reported missing discovered crashed into condo, police say
- Driver who nearly strikes state patrol car charged with 4th OWI, trooper says