MADISON, Wis. - A man arrested on a burglary warrant told police the stolen items officers found in his bag were bought from a hippie named "Shaggy."
Madison police said Alexxander C. Crespo, 22, of Madison, was spotted walking on Regent Street early Monday morning after a homeowner on Commonwealth Avenue reported a thief inside his unlocked car. Crespo matched the description of the robber given by the homeowner, according to police.
Officers said property stolen in other recent crimes was found in Crespo's backpack, including stolen credit cards and debit cards. Crespo said the items didn't belong to him and that he had bought them from a hippie downtown. He said he thought it was a good idea at the time.
Crespo was arrested on suspicion of receiving stolen property and on a burglary warrant.
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- Classes teach Madisonians how to keep backyard bees
- Judge orders suspended UW student to face trial
- First responders urge people to stay off ice this weekend
- Madison police have video of road rage incident involving a car and bike
- Robbery suspect arrested after stealing purse containing $1