MADISON, Wis. - A man was caught burglarizing Mendota Elementary School early Monday morning, according to a release from Madison police.
Police were called to the school at 4:11 a.m. by a burglar alarm and found a cut screen and open window. Officers said they could see the burglar inside the school with a laptop and an iPad in his hands.
The burglar exited back through the window not knowing officers were there. Police said that as officers tried to grab him he kicked one of them twice in the chest, wriggled out of his jacket and went back into the school.
Police said he ran out a door and was chased down by officers. They said they found two knives on him.
Brandon L. Peterson, 24, was arrested on suspicion of burglary armed with a dangerous weapon, possession of burglarious tools, carrying concealed weapons, resisting arrest and property damage.Madison crime map
- New emergency equipment aids obese patients in Wisconsin
- Facebook CEO Zuckerberg visits Madison Sunday
- Wisconsin, U.S. used flawed hair evidence to convict innocent people
- Shredfest helps protect more than 1,100 people's identities
- 'Life goes on': Production ends at Oscar Mayer plant
- Vehicles, building hit by bullets in Fitchburg