PRAIRIE DU CHIEN, Wis. - A Prairie du Chien man was attacked with a golf club as he was opening a church on Wednesday, according to Prairie du Chien police.
The 68-year-old victim went to the police department at 6:15 a.m. after he was attacked. He told officers he was assaulted by a man as he was opening St. Gabriel's Church and was struck twice with a golf club. The man also used the golf club to strike the victim's vehicle multiple times.
Police said they went to the church and found Chad A. Dahling, 44, of Elkader, Iowa, attempting to leave. Officers said they don't know Dahling's motive for the attack.
Dahling punched a Crawford County jailer during the booking process, according to police. The jailer was taken to a hospital for treatment.
Dahling was arrested on suspicion of battery, battery to a law enforcement officer and criminal damage to property.
- Madison police work to create better quality of life on top of State Street
- 'Out of the darkness' walk for suicide prevention
- Woman may face charges after being thrown from vehicle during crash
- Officials ID fatal Grant County crash victim
- Police: Electronics taken from Boscobel home Friday
- Armed robberies in Monona, Madison may be connected, Monona PD says