MADISON, Wis. - A Milwaukee man was arrested on retail theft and probation hold at the West Towne Mall Food Court Thursday after shoplifting a store twice in the last month.
According to a Madison Police Department report, two Apple Store employees identified Verdell Gee, 49, while he was eating in the food court. He had stolen from the store both on December 23 and January 3, taking an Apogee Duet 2 worth $595 both times.
Before both thefts, Apple employees said Gee had returned merchandise to the Madison store, as well as Milwaukee and Appleton stores. The return transactions added up to $800 in gift cards that Gee currently has in his possession, according to the report.
The suspect denied to MPD officers that he had entered the Apple store and said surveillance video of him taking the item must have been his twin.
He told police he was in Madison to visit family, but was unable to tell them where they lived.
- Family remembers fire that took 4 kids' lives 25 years later
- Plea deal reached in killing of 13-year-old girl in 1982
- Madison Club donation focuses on 100 Black Men, achievement gap
- Madison Metro bus driver retires after half a century
- City streets dept. denies telling MMSD roads were OK
- Icy conditions send more people to ER for falls