MADISON, Wis. - A Milwaukee man was arrested on retail theft and probation hold at the West Towne Mall Food Court Thursday after shoplifting a store twice in the last month.
According to a Madison Police Department report, two Apple Store employees identified Verdell Gee, 49, while he was eating in the food court. He had stolen from the store both on December 23 and January 3, taking an Apogee Duet 2 worth $595 both times.
Before both thefts, Apple employees said Gee had returned merchandise to the Madison store, as well as Milwaukee and Appleton stores. The return transactions added up to $800 in gift cards that Gee currently has in his possession, according to the report.
The suspect denied to MPD officers that he had entered the Apple store and said surveillance video of him taking the item must have been his twin.
He told police he was in Madison to visit family, but was unable to tell them where they lived.
- Widow of slayed Racine man wants ban of hollow-point bullets
- Wisconsin tribes clash in casino expansion fight
- Arcadia embraces Hispanic population amid immigration talks
- Find of device that looked like military mortar causes scare
- Lawyers for man charged in killing accuse victim's boyfriend
- 3 hospitalized, displaced in near west side fire