MANITOWOC, Wis. - Police have arrested the owner of a cat who was found duct-taped and dead in the Manitowoc River.
Authorities are recommending a felony charge of mistreating an animal against the 49-year-old Manitowoc man.
Police Detective Mike Stone said the man told investigators he was feeling suicidal and decided to kill the cat instead, a pet he had for about 10 years.
A fisherman found the cat in the river Sunday. Stone said the animal's head and legs were taped. He said citizen tips led to the cat's owner.
The Herald Times Reporter said a veterinarian determined the cat was suffocated and was probably dead before it was placed in the river.
- GOP Legislature calls redistricting ruling 'dangerous'
- Crazylegs run/walk to close many downtown streets Saturday
- Dane County to acquire 130 acres along Yahara River
- 4 juveniles suspected of damaging maliboxes in rural Portage, Pardeeville areas
- 2 on moped injured in downtown Madison crash, officials say
- Baldwin encourages U.S. Dept. of Ag secretary to visit Wisconsin dairy farmers