MANITOWOC, Wis. - Police have arrested the owner of a cat who was found duct-taped and dead in the Manitowoc River.
Authorities are recommending a felony charge of mistreating an animal against the 49-year-old Manitowoc man.
Police Detective Mike Stone said the man told investigators he was feeling suicidal and decided to kill the cat instead, a pet he had for about 10 years.
A fisherman found the cat in the river Sunday. Stone said the animal's head and legs were taped. He said citizen tips led to the cat's owner.
The Herald Times Reporter said a veterinarian determined the cat was suffocated and was probably dead before it was placed in the river.
- Lowell Elementary School closed due to flooding, officials say
- District: Some Janesville school bus routes canceled because of slippery roads
- Local Wisconsin man remembers meeting Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Parents of girl charged in 'Slender Man' stabbing speak out
- 6-year-old girl buys birthday gifts for children in need
- Woman's self-written obituary goes viral