LA CROSSE, Wis. - The Grant County man charged with stealing a car with a man in the trunk and leading La Crosse police on a high speed chase stands mute in court Wednesday afternoon.
A La Crosse County judge entered not guilty pleas on 25-year-old Timmy Johnson Jr.'s behalf.
The police report stated Johnson crashed the stolen car just south of Holmen. In the trunk, police found the body of 79-year-old Merle Forbes.
A preliminary autopsy shows assault to be the cause of death.
Johnson's defense says a plea deal is in the works. He has not been charged with a homicide.
Johnson's next court appearance is September 4.
- 75,000+ attend 'Women's March on Madison'
- Police looking for driver who fled after causing crash
- MPD: 9-month-old girl back safe after father refused to return her to mother
- Committee debates to keep or remove Monterrey Dam
- 2 teenagers chased by police die in car crash in Milwaukee
- Four displaced in west side apartment fire