LA CROSSE, Wis. - The Grant County man charged with stealing a car with a man in the trunk and leading La Crosse police on a high speed chase stands mute in court Wednesday afternoon.
A La Crosse County judge entered not guilty pleas on 25-year-old Timmy Johnson Jr.'s behalf.
The police report stated Johnson crashed the stolen car just south of Holmen. In the trunk, police found the body of 79-year-old Merle Forbes.
A preliminary autopsy shows assault to be the cause of death.
Johnson's defense says a plea deal is in the works. He has not been charged with a homicide.
Johnson's next court appearance is September 4.
- MPD: Around 12,000 attend 2017 Mifflin Street Block Party; no serious incidents
- Officials identify woman killed in Middleton homicide; suspect in custody
- Robber points gun at motel clerk, flees empty-handed
- Wisconsin woman's play to take stage in San Diego
- Aging farmers in Wisconsin fear nursing care may cost farm
- Green Bay official explores ban on openly carrying guns