LA CROSSE, Wis. - The Grant County man charged with stealing a car with a man in the trunk who was dead at the scene is competent to stand trial.
A La Crosse County judge made that ruling about 25-year-old Timmy Johnson, Jr. in court Wednesday afternoon.
Both the state and Johnson's defense agreed. However, the defense raised some red flags, including a suicide attempt while in jail.
Johnson has been charged with three counts of recklessly endangering safety and stealing a car. The police report said Johnson led authorities on a high speed chase in that stolen car from La Crosse towards Holmen before crashing.
In the trunk police found 79-year-old Merle Forbes. He was declared dead at the scene. A preliminary autopsy shows assault to be the cause of death.
Johnson has not been charged with homicide. Johnson's preliminary hearing has been set for Wednesday, July 16.
- Family remembers fire that took 4 kids' lives 25 years later
- Plea deal reached in killing of 13-year-old girl in 1982
- Madison Club donation focuses on 100 Black Men, achievement gap
- Madison Metro bus driver retires after half a century
- City streets dept. denies telling MMSD roads were OK
- Icy conditions send more people to ER for falls