A 24-year old man is charged with breaking into a western Wisconsin elementary school and starting a fire that caused $1.5 million in damages.
Justin Nelson of Roberts was charged Friday with felony counts arson, criminal damage to property and burglary.
Police Chief Dan Burgess said Nelson was arrested Thursday at St. Croix Central Elementary School in Roberts. The complaint alleges Nelson stole drugs used to treat attention deficit disorder from the school nurse's cabinet and several cameras from classrooms. Nelson is accused of setting fires in four different locations in the building.
St. Croix Central Elementary School has nearly 600 students. Classes were called off for the rest of the week. Administrators said classes are expected to resume Monday at a nearby Girl Scouts camp.
- All Iowa County roads reported as ice covered, hazardous
- Lowell Elementary School closed due to flooding, officials say
- District: Some Janesville school bus routes canceled because of slippery roads
- Local Wisconsin man remembers meeting Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Parents of girl charged in 'Slender Man' stabbing speak out
- 6-year-old girl buys birthday gifts for children in need