MADISON, Wis. - The case against a man accused of killing his ex-girlfriend in Mazomanie moved forward with a preliminary hearing in Dane County Court Wednesday.
Phillip Byrd pleaded not guilty to charges of first-degree intentional homicide for the February death of Cheryl Gilberg.
Byrd said the two argued the morning of her death, and she pointed her gun at him, and it went off when he tried wrestling it from her.
Gilberg was shot twice in the head, officials said.
Byrd admitted to fleeing to Janesville and throwing the revolver out of his truck along Highway 14.
- Study shows Wisconsin poverty rate reached new low in 2015
- Jerry Kramer joins honor flight trip to help Vietnam veterans
- Brat Fest carnival to close early Sunday after late night fights
- Car rolls over into residential home's front lawn
- Janesville police investigate first homicide since 2014
- Fort Atkinson man arrested for sixth OWI