MADISON, Wis. - The case against a man accused of killing his ex-girlfriend in Mazomanie moved forward with a preliminary hearing in Dane County Court Wednesday.
Phillip Byrd pleaded not guilty to charges of first-degree intentional homicide for the February death of Cheryl Gilberg.
Byrd said the two argued the morning of her death, and she pointed her gun at him, and it went off when he tried wrestling it from her.
Gilberg was shot twice in the head, officials said.
Byrd admitted to fleeing to Janesville and throwing the revolver out of his truck along Highway 14.
- Police: Teens try to open Madison girl's car door, flash gun at her
- Sonar scans help divers target Lake Erie plane crash search
- Suspected drunken driver hits car in oncoming lane, police say
- Teens say armed man asked them to get in car, police say
- Couple heard window being opened, scared off a would-be burglar, PD says
- City streets dept. denies telling MMSD roads were OK