MADISON, Wis. - The case against a man accused of killing his ex-girlfriend in Mazomanie moved forward with a preliminary hearing in Dane County Court Wednesday.
Phillip Byrd pleaded not guilty to charges of first-degree intentional homicide for the February death of Cheryl Gilberg.
Byrd said the two argued the morning of her death, and she pointed her gun at him, and it went off when he tried wrestling it from her.
Gilberg was shot twice in the head, officials said.
Byrd admitted to fleeing to Janesville and throwing the revolver out of his truck along Highway 14.
- Thanks, Fido! Barking dog alerts owners to burglar, police say
- Appeals court hearing arguments in Wisconsin voting cases
- Officials ID teen driver suspected of drug use in fatal wreck
- Court: Milwaukee Co. Sheriff exempt from releasing immigration records
- Uniforms coming to Milwaukee schools
- Messy weather closes schools in southern Wisconsin