A 90-year-old man accused of striking and killing a bicyclist in Eau Claire has been ordered to surrender his driver's license and stay in a care center for now.
An Eau Claire County judge set a $25,000 signature bond for Archie Van Wormer in court Thursday. He's facing felony charges in the death of Kirk Cartwright. The 51-year-old Eau Claire man was killed while riding on a bike path June 29.
A criminal complaint said Van Wormer was not wearing his glasses as his license required. Police say Van Wormer had also just started taking new medication.
The Eau Claire Leader-Telegram said Van Wormer appeared in court without an attorney. Judge Paul Lenz told Van Wormer his competency will be evaluated during his stay at the assisted living center.
- Garrison Keillor coming to Breese Stevens Field
- Gun pointed at driver during road rage incident, deputies say
- Wisconsin family rescued from wave that throws them into tide pool
- New Zealand: Janesville doctor must pay for deadly crash
- Police: Crash leads to fourth OWI arrest
- Madison police work to create better quality of life on top of State Street