A 23-year-old was convicted Wednesday in Dane County court of drowning a pet rabbit, police said.
Madison police said Brianna D. Barber of Madison was sentenced to four years of probation and ordered not to have contact with pets or small animals. Barber pleaded guilty in Dane County Circuit Court to killing the rabbit, Oreo.
Police said Barber was a guest in a Madison home on March 23 when she submerged Oreo in a sink for several minutes. Barber admitted to drowning the pet, according to the report.
Police said Oreo was a much-loved pet.
Madison police spokesman Joel DeSpain said the department takes mistreatment of animals reports seriously. A West District detective was assigned to investigate the case after Oreo's death earlier this year.
Barber also pleaded guilty to felony bail jumping related to the case.
- Consumer Reports: Is identity theft insurance worth it?
- Whitewater High School evacuated because of suspicious package
- PD: Someone opened fire on officers who responded to suspicious vehicle report
- 24-year-old Cuba City woman struck, killed pedestrian on Iowa road
- Woman struck, killed walking on highway, deputies say
- Country star Willie Nelson to perform in Madison in June