MADISON, Wis. - Those itching to enjoy some winter sports before spring don't have to look any further than the Capitol Square this weekend.
The annual Madison Winter Festival kicked off with sledding, skiing, snowshoeing, and more.
Local sports stores like Fontana Sports offered free demos and gear rental.
Adam Remus, Fontana Sports assistant manager, said the event helps to offer families an opportunity to enjoy Wisconsin's winter sports.
"We're just into it to get families involved, just to know the community," Remus said. "There is great skiing in Madison and this is a great way for people to try it."
It took more than 90 truckloads of snow to transform the square into a winter wonderland. The Madison Winter Festival concludes Sunday at 4 p.m.
- Packers fans stock up on snacks before NFC Championship game
- Wisconsin officials investigating skull found on vacant land
- Victims chase suspected burglars with shovel
- Wisconsin school advocates pushing for more money
- Research indicates correct breast examination techniques are widely misunderstood
- Shell casings found downtown after shots fired call