MADISON, Wis. - With Earth Day just around the corner, a website has ranked Madison the greenest city in the nation.
The website Nerd Wallet looked at the 95 largest cities in America and measured air quality, alternative modes of travel and natural attributes like lakes, biking and hiking trails and local parks.
Jessi Claringbole, community relations manager at Madison Environmental Group, a consulting firm that urges companies to build and think green, said she's not surprised Madison made the list, but there's even more the city can be doing.
"If we could expand the metro offerings, have it to be more available to outlying neighborhoods, and they maybe connect with other communities. Maybe starting in Dane County and then kind of expanding from there," Claringbole said.
Claringbole said she hopes the ranking motivates people and companies around the city to become or continue to be environmentally friendly.
- Ohio, Wisconsin leaders prepare for Trump effect
- Attorney general announces deal on drug overdose treatment
- Soglin: City had no standing in Robinson settlement decision
- Family attorney: $3.3M settlement 'vindication for the Robinson family'
- Madison middle school student creates winning Google doodle
- Trespass charges for man found living in hospital closet