MADISON, Wis. - A Madison man is accused of threatening a Dane County judge after a ruling against him in small claims court.
The Wisconsin Department of Justice said George W. Bennett, 55, lost in a small claims court rule on June 6 and left a series of threatening and harassing voicemails on Judge Rhonda Landford's office phone between June 13 and 15.
Police said they found a gun after carrying out a search warrant at Bennett's home. He was arrested on suspicion of making threats to a judge, unlawful use of a phone, felon in possession of a firearm and disorderly conduct.
Bennett told police he wasn't going to harm anybody and that his messages indicated that God was going to do those things to the judge.
The complaint says Bennett has a lengthy criminal history dating back to 1990, when he threatened to kill two state troopers.
Bennett is due in court for an initial appearance Tuesday afternoon.
- Police looking for driver who fled after causing crash
- 75,000+ attend 'Women's March on Madison'
- MPD: 9-month-old girl back safe after father refused to return her to mother
- Committee debates to keep or remove Monterrey Dam
- 2 teenagers chased by police die in car crash in Milwaukee
- Four displaced in west side apartment fire