MADISON, Wis. - Sue Ellingson submitted her resignation for as alder for District 13 to Madison Mayor Paul Soglin Thursday, according to a statement.
Ellingson said in the statement, "In the last two months I have had pressing family matters arise that require extended periods away from Madison. I simply don't have the time to adequately represent my district."
She thanked the neighbors who gave her the opportunity to make decisions for the city.
According to a release from the city of Madison, Ellingson has been on the Common Council for the last three years.
"Her commitment to making Madison, our state and our nation a better place has driven her leadership on neighborhood, environmental and political issues. We wish the best for Sue and her family, and we know we will have the pleasure of working with her again in the future," the statement said.
"This has been one of the best experiences of my life. I regret that I'm no longer able to serve," Ellingson said.
The Madison Common Council will appoint a new alder to serve the remainder of her term, and a timeline for permanently filling the vacancy will be made available soon.
- Community supports boy fighting for his life
- Neighborhood initiative aims to diminish crime on Madison's east side
- Dodge Co. Sheriff asks for more student education after school threats made
- Two injured in Iowa County rollover crash
- Family: Milwaukee mother shot repeatedly in van
- Dane County airport wins award for food program