MADISON, Wis. - Sue Ellingson submitted her resignation for as alder for District 13 to Madison Mayor Paul Soglin Thursday, according to a statement.
Ellingson said in the statement, "In the last two months I have had pressing family matters arise that require extended periods away from Madison. I simply don't have the time to adequately represent my district."
She thanked the neighbors who gave her the opportunity to make decisions for the city.
According to a release from the city of Madison, Ellingson has been on the Common Council for the last three years.
"Her commitment to making Madison, our state and our nation a better place has driven her leadership on neighborhood, environmental and political issues. We wish the best for Sue and her family, and we know we will have the pleasure of working with her again in the future," the statement said.
"This has been one of the best experiences of my life. I regret that I'm no longer able to serve," Ellingson said.
The Madison Common Council will appoint a new alder to serve the remainder of her term, and a timeline for permanently filling the vacancy will be made available soon.
- Pickup truck, car fall through ice on 2 Dodge County lakes
- Man killed after setting off apartment explosion
- District: Some Janesville school bus routes canceled because of slippery roads
- Driver of car going 107 mph suspected of drug use, deputies say
- Car reported missing discovered crashed into condo, police say
- Driver who nearly strikes state patrol car charged with 4th OWI, trooper says