MADISON, Wis. - The Madison Fire Department has transitioned to its cold-weather equipment, including the addition of an airboat from the Dane County Sheriff's Office, according to a release.
The addition of an airboat is the latest collaboration effort between the MFD Lake Rescue Team and the Dane County Sheriff's Office, officials said. Both agencies respond to water rescues in Dane County.
Officials said ice rescues are particularly challenging due to the variations in thickness as temperatures fluctuate.
The airboat expands MFD's capabilities by providing improved transportation options on water and ice, according to the release. It will be housed at MFD Fire Station #1, where it will be trailered and ready to respond 24/7.
- Poynette woman calls for action over million-dollar scam
- Warmer weather means construction starts on Capitol Square
- Family-owned business disputes child labor laws
- Memorial High all-school read sparks conversations about race, social justice
- DNR provides funding to remove lead service lines from homes
- Delavan man killed in motorcycle vs. tree crash, officials say