MADISON, Wis. - Madison College celebrated the opening of its new Gateway Building on the Truax Campus Thursday.
MATC dedicated the building's welcome center to outgoing president Dr. Bettsey Barhorst.
The building houses several lounges, a student achievement center, a gallery and a library, and as the first building on the campus, it will be used to welcome people to Madison College.
"We are so grateful to the taxpayers and voters who voted for the referendum in 2010 when things were not really good," Barhorst said. "And then the people who had it built in two years."
Barhorst will be leaving the college next month and moving to Illinois to be closer to family but she said she's loved living and working in Madison.
Proceeds from the ticketed event that was hosted by the Madison College Foundation will support student scholarships and educational programs.
- Consumer Reports: Samsung Galaxy S8 first look
- Chief: Monday was 'horribly compelling night of crime' in Madison
- New gallery showcases visually impaired artists, proves creativity has no boundaries
- Attorney: Jakubowksi traveled mostly on foot, was headed to South Dakota
- Lettuce, other produce prices double due to wet California winter, experts say
- State Legislature set to give wells bill final OK