FOUNTAIN CITY, Wis. - The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers plans to temporarily close a lock and dam near Fountain City so a damaged gate can be replaced.
An upstream gate on Lock and Dam 5A was severely damaged last week when it was struck by a barge.
The 12-hour closure will take place Thursday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. KAGE Radio reports all commercial and recreational traffic on the Mississippi in the Winona, Minn., area will be affected while the gate is replaced.
The Corps says the towboat was navigating downriver when it hit the lock gate last Thursday. No one was hurt and the barges did not contain any hazardous materials.
Corps engineers assessed the damage and determined the lock can remain open with some restrictions until the gate is replaced.
- GOP Legislature calls redistricting ruling 'dangerous'
- Crazylegs run/walk to close many downtown streets Saturday
- Dane County to acquire 130 acres along Yahara River
- 4 juveniles suspected of damaging maliboxes in rural Portage, Pardeeville areas
- 2 on moped injured in downtown Madison crash, officials say
- Baldwin encourages U.S. Dept. of Ag secretary to visit Wisconsin dairy farmers