FOUNTAIN CITY, Wis. - The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers plans to temporarily close a lock and dam near Fountain City so a damaged gate can be replaced.
An upstream gate on Lock and Dam 5A was severely damaged last week when it was struck by a barge.
The 12-hour closure will take place Thursday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. KAGE Radio reports all commercial and recreational traffic on the Mississippi in the Winona, Minn., area will be affected while the gate is replaced.
The Corps says the towboat was navigating downriver when it hit the lock gate last Thursday. No one was hurt and the barges did not contain any hazardous materials.
Corps engineers assessed the damage and determined the lock can remain open with some restrictions until the gate is replaced.
- Teenager 'going crazy with a knife' arrested
- PD: Drunk Mt. Horeb man jumps from moving car, runs into side of SUV
- City streets dept. denies telling MMSD roads were OK
- Phone scammer claims to be MPD Chief Mike Koval, officials say
- Icy Dane County road causes nearly 40-car pileup, officials say
- Man, woman caught selling stolen bike on Craigslist, police say